"I grew up right here. The girl behind the counter at the cafe is my niece." says Joe. Walking along Aisli urges Joe to go on with her ahas. "Both my parents grew up here. You know, I'm a townie. My story really isn't that interesting."
"You are wrong," Aisli interrupts,"every one's story is interesting. There is beauty and color in every human beings story and we have forgotten how to tell it."
"Well, why don't you tell me yours?" Joe asks.
I keep getting myself into these dilemmas, because I believe what I said about everyone else's story but my own. It is lacking because I have reduced human relations to a very low role in my story. My solitude, my gadgets, the way I keep to myself. The story is full of.
Interrupting her train of thought Joe asks, "Did you hear what I asked?"
"Yes. I am just not ready." Aisli spoken truthfully.
"You really are interested?" Joe hesitates about continuing.
Aisli wants to be and does really like his voice. "Please," she says simply.
"I have 4 brothers and 5 sisters. Amazingly, most of us get along. After my parents died, there was some falling out. My oldest brother handled it well. We do our best to get along, love each other and be there for each other." Joe glances over at Aisli to see if he should go on. "Most of them are married, some divorced, I have a boat load of nieces and nephews."
"What about you?"
"Well, I was trying to tell you my story is not that interesting." Joe protests.
"Were you ever married?" Aisli is not sure if she should have asked that.
"Yes," and Joe pauses wondering if he should say anything more and adds, "for a short time."
Aisli catches the sadness in his voice and isn't sure what to say so she says nothing. The two co-workers walk quietly for a minute and just before reaching the docks Joe says, "My wife died when we had been married for 6 months."
I don't know what to say. {She has never let anyone close enough to her for her to feel the pain of loss and consequently she does not know the joy of being known and knowing another.}
When they arrive at the docks Aisli hangs back and sips on her coffee and the aroma reminds her, the world is colorless today. She looks at her boss who's white beard is looking dark and his sparkling blue eyes are sparkling gray. He gives us our orders and as Aisli heads to get to work, Joe pipes up and says,"Thanks for listening."
Everything inside me wants to just keep walking and pretend that I didn't hear him, but everyone heard him. That's the problem, so I just kind of grunt, "Don't mention it," which is exactly what I wish he had done.
Closing my eyes, I take a deep breath of the ocean air and picture all the colors that I usually see at this hour. The sun is bright and feels warm upon my face.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment